Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Whole Me




There are no short cuts to personal growth and wholeness. Most people try to use other people to gain a satisfying life and to fill the emptiness that they crave so badly. We have to ask ourselves the question, if God created us, then why would he create us with an emptiness? Was it in fact put there for a purpose? Was this hole in our hearts the very means of creating intimacy between us and our Creator God? Jeanne Mayo said, "None of us like to feel alone. We do about anything to distract ourselves from the gnawing feeling in the pit of our stomachs. But in the middle of those times, we begin to buy into a toxic lie: 'When I find the right person, my life will be complete.' Too bad it's just not that easy. You see, the emptiness inside all of us is not a case of missing persons in our lives, but a case of incompleteness deep down in our own souls." Every relationship will be an unconscious attempt to complete yourself.

Wow, so I've finally realized, "if you try to complete yourself through another person before you do the hard work of cultivating strong self-esteem on your own, every relationship will eventually end with disappointment and pain." I have some goals for this summer and I think it's best if I put them in list form so they're easy to remember and leave an imprint in my memory:

1. I am going to continue to achieve a solid sense of who I am on my own.
2. Analyze my present life and look and see how I can make my relationships better.
3. Figure out what masks I wear and begin to take them off.
4. Take responsibility for running my own life and controlling my own destiny by seeking God.
5. Allow God to be the centerpiece of my life and as Corrie Ten Boom said, "When Jesus is all you have, Jesus will be all you need."

Last little quote that I want to leave you with, "When you don't feel like praying, talk to God about it." Legit eh?


1 comment:

  1. This is it. Ive tried to avoid this exact same thing until this summer. God made that God shaped hole. I love it. Even being saved doesn't fill it. I'm finding now that being alone, and content with time alone, genuinely alone with Him, is where we find true peace. The peace that proceeds that time with Him is how we know... ughhh..this has inspired me to go read lol...thanks dollface.
    -Jon

    ReplyDelete